Thursday 12 July 2012

Howdy hey hey peepers, 
I can honestly say that life is just grand here in McLeod Ganj.I have been here two nights now and I am just loving it. It's full of refugee Tibetans (this is the headquaters of the Dalai Lama, so many Tibetans have found refuge here), and they are so kind and gentle and I just want to take the little old ladies home with me and cuddle them all the time ( that's not creepy, right?). It's also a big travellers destination and I have really enjoyed being able to hang out with some new people and chat about all their adventures.  The narrow streets are lined with stalls selling shawls, bracelets, beanies, socks, bags and all manner of Tibetan goods. I was immediately drawn to the shops run by the old Tibetans who are so god darn adorable wrapped up in their shawls and whatnot, sitting knitting serenely or chatting happily to their neighbour. They don't hastle you to buy stuff, and their prices are reasonable ( I think so anyway, even if they aren't  I don't have the heart to bargain with them) and they are so friendly and happy. I bought a massive maroon wrap thing (more like a blanket) made of yak wool from the oldest man I have ever seen. He was so flipping cute I just wanted to cry.
The area surrounding the town is all pine forest and when the mists set in it feels like you are on the set of Lord of the Rings or something, it's pretty magical. About 20 minutes walk from my hotel (so fucking steep and sweaty) is the Tushita Buddhist centre set amongst the incredible forest. Yesterday I went to a drop in meditation class which was awesome (I may have fallen asleep at one point, but I enjoyed it none the less) and then hung around for a bit enjoying the serenity (you bet I love 'The Castle'). The centre has a code of silence and the only sound are the monkeys screaming at each other in the distance. I have registered to do a 10 day introduction to Buddhism course on the 25th which should be rather interesting, I hope. I'm not wanting to become Buddhist or anything, but it's something to do and there is lots of meditation and I'm interested in the philosophy side of things. It's also pretty cheap so it will save me some dough. After the class myself and a new friend of mine, Karen, went for a walk to a nearby village which was incredible. Sloping hills filled with crops, sari clad ladies carrying massive bags of rice on their heads and a shit load of Israeli's (it's a bit of a chill out for them, a LOT of people getting way too grilled). In the arvo I did a yoga class. Now, this was interesting. Good. Rather painful. And just funny. "Reeeeellllllllaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxx". Alot of that. Today I am so sore, but it was good. This morning I went for a walk over the hill to Bhagsu, another nearby village and went for a wander to the waterfall there which was pretty cool. A lot of Indian travellers asking to have their photo with me though.  On the way back I stopped at this place which had been recommended to me  by a few people and got my nose pierced, which was surprisingly not very painful at all ( by this I mean I didn't cry). This arvo I got an amazing massage off a lovely Tibetan lady. You bet your bottom it was wonderful. And only 500 R for an hour (ten bucks!). Tomorrow I am going to start going to a conversation thing with Tibetan monks where they can practice their english with you, I'm hoping it should be pretty good.
And now I shall go have myself some dinner and collapse into my wonderful bed with my new yak blanket and my spanking new knitted socks and relish in the joy of being on an awesome adventure!
All my love, Jessa xx

P.S. I swear I am NOT turning into a hippy, although there are enough around to make you think it's cool.

P.P..S Did I mention I met some guys from Nimbin who also finished school last year. Shmall world.

P.P.P.S I really do try to keep it short, my sincere apologies for all the apalling nonsense you have to sift through.