Sunday 5 August 2012

Howdy folks,

And so it is I have emerged back into the real world of Indian madness after a delightfully peaceful ten day retreat in the misty mountains above McLeod Ganj. The retreat really was wonderful. I particularly enjoyed the silence and I managed to smash out a fair few good books as well as learn a few things about Buddhism and meditation. Despite my fairly sceptical, close minded approach to any religion I found that there were certainly aspects of Buddhism which I liked. The monk who took the teachings turned out to be an Australian guy named Tony which was really funny! He even told a story about when he was young and his friends would get high in Mullumbimby. Small world. I certainly learned a lot about love and compassion and how to be a more free and positive person. But enough of that hippy shit, I take pride in the fact I have remained relatively normal (for me). The group of people I did it with were all super lovely and I made so many new friends at the end, so for me that was the best part. The centre where the retreat was held is a place called Tushita which is surrounded by beautiful forests and lots and lots of very naughty monkeys who provided hours of entertainment. Whilst lunchtimes were generally tasty with rice and dhal and veges, brekky and lunch were rather dismal affairs consisting of ricey water and a bland vege soup. There was however rather nice bread (by Indian standards) and delicious peanut butter, the kind we get at home from Santos. I think over the ten days I probably ate the equivalent of 20 peanut butter banana sandwiches. It was glorious for the first five days or so...

And so it was that I emerged on Friday into the mayhem of McLeod Ganj. That night many of us from the course met up at Carpe Diem (restaurant, the 'cool' hang for dinner, I'll admit I'm a regular now,(obviously the reason it's cool) so much so that all the staff call me "Aussie" or "vegemite" which they were very excited to show me they actually have.). It was such a wonderful night and it was so awesome to get a chance to talk with everyone before several of them went on to other adventures.
Yesterday I found out that my Grandpa passed away which was so devastating. He had been sick for a while, so it was really only a matter of time but it still came as a big shock. I was having lunch at the Japanese place when Mum told me and I just about lost my shit there, but I managed to make it to the roof top of my hotel and called mum which was a big comfort to hear her voice. Then I legged it up the hill to Tushita and cried my eyeballs out for about an hour which made me feel a bit better. It's made me feel very far from home and all I want to do is go home and see Mum and give everyone a hug and make sure they are all ok. But I'm in India, so I just have to deal with it.In the end he was suffering alot and it was hard for everyone around him. I loved him alot and I really miss him, but we had some good times and I'll never forget him. 

This morning at breakfast I met an amazing family from the Netherlands who are travelling with two kids, twelve and ten. I got on really well with them and had a big chat with the kids, largely about Harry Potter and Bollywood movies, and hung with them for ages and it was so comforting to be around a family and it made me feel a little bit better. I'm missing my family at the moment and just want a big hug from Mum and Dad, but as Mumma says, keep soldiering on, and I intend to do so. I have met a girl who is staying in the room next to me who is volunteering teaching english so I am going to start going with her and I'll see how I go. I'm still intending to stay in McLeod for a while so I'm looking forward to getting into a few things like yoga.  
Anyway, I think I have waffled on enough. Terribly sorry if I have bored you to death, in fact I'm impressed if you have even got to the end. Well done, you have endured a rigorous test of endurance. I shall reward you with my love, all my love <3. Until next time. x